Endoscopy #lupus

I had the endoscopy today. I don’t feel groggy, just tired. I have a headache. I’m having some heart palpitations, which is probably from the IV hydrocortisone. Steroids can make you wired, I might be wired from it all night. Normally functioning adrenals produce their own levels of cortisol to manage stress, but since I have Addison’s Disease, I produce no cortisol, so we have to do it manually via hydrocortisone. Lack of cortisol is fatal. Cheers hydrocortisone.

I wear a MedAlert bracelet for my Addison’s Disease. My current one looks like a green livestrong band. I like to have it on in case there is ever an emergency where I can’t communicate. It has “Addison’s Disease” on one side and “Steroid Dependent” on the other. In retrospect, I wish it said “Hydrocortisone dependent” specifically.


I arrived at the hospital, checked in at a few different places, and was in the waiting room for an extremely long half-hour. When I was called back, I changed into a hospital gown (a fabric one, yay!) and bagged up my clothes and shoes. They showed me to a bed in a busy pre-procedure room, and a nurse sat with me to take a history of my diseases and medications. They gave me a quick EKG to check my heart. They put a pulse monitor on my finger, which was later required on my ear, since my hands are cold. They put in the IV, and a blood pressure cuff on the other arm. It took them an extra few minutes to make sure they had the IV hydrocortisone order for the anesthesiologist. I talked to a few nurses, the anesthesiologist and his intern, and finally the doctor came in. By then I was pretty relieved to see him. He has a bubbly personality which can be helpful when I’m anxious. The anesthesiologist was going to have me gargle a numbing solution to numb my throat for the camera. The doctor said I probably wouldn’t need it. There was a lady next to me who had experience with endoscopies and she told me she prefers not to have it. My doctor must be pretty good with the camera because my throat isn’t sore at all.

I was wheeled into the procedure room. Up until now my mom had been with me. She had to go back to the waiting room. I don’t care how old you are, the part where your family has to go to the waiting room always sucks. Suddenly I’m surrounded by 5 strangers, hooking up my IV and taping stuff to me. They put a plastic device in my mouth to hold it open.

Then I woke up.

It was over that fast, at least for me. When I realized I was awake, and where I was, I cried. I remember telling the doctor I thought I was on the couch watching TV. The nurse dried my face. I think she felt bad. Maybe people don’t usually cry when they wake up. I told her about a spinal tap I had that was unpleasant, and how I had a similar reaction when it was over. I kept talking and telling her about random things so I could keep it together. I felt like having a panic attack. I had already been done with the procedure for 20 minutes when I woke up. It didn’t feel like it.

They brought me into the recovery room. It’s strange how quickly you wake up from propofol. I wasn’t even groggy. I was only regular “Lupus tired”. My concentration wasn’t 100% yet though. My mom came in and the doctor had already talked with her.

The doctor took a lot of tissue samples. I have a lot of inflammation, and from the samples he will hopefully be able to tell what kind. He will also make sure I don’t have any bacterial infections. I also have a small hiatal hernia. I’ve thought it a possibility before. He said it probably won’t get any worse than it is now. I will most likely be able to treat it all with a new medication.

I had a grumpy recovery nurse that luckily went to lunch, and in her place was a bubbly RN. He was fun, which makes all this medical stuff a lot easier to deal with. He liked my bracelet. I was really glad to see my mom. It doesn’t really feel over til you see your mom.

I had some ice water. They monitored my vitals every 15 minutes. The RN also gave me a post-procedural dose of hydrocortisone. I was a little headache-y. After the RN finished writing up the post-paperwork, I was able to get dressed. They wheel-chaired me down to valet parking.

I have a headache right now. But I probably would regardless. I do have a little bit of pain in my lower esophagus. I’ve been off the ibuprofen for 5 days and I have pain when I don’t take it. I am probably also a little sore from the endoscopy. I had trouble with heart palpitations a couple hours ago. I still feel a little short of breath. It can be a side effect of steroids.

I still feel achy from the Actemra. My back has had some soreness the past few days. If the Actemra works, I need some serious muscle rehab. My back is sore because I trimmed my toenails. I get sore from riding in the car, too. I haven’t been able to exercise or even do normal activities that would keep my back and abs strong, so I get sore from sitting. I’m hoping to exercise in the pool when they heat it next month.

The new Mario Party 10 is pretty good.



    • Thanks! I’m allergic to nickel and it’s hard to find an affordable silver one. The metal one I had fell apart because I showered with it. I had my green rubber one made at wristbandconnection.com. It was a little expensive and it took a few weeks to be made and shipped but I’ve had it for a few years now and haven’t had to replace it. I can keep it on in the shower too. I tend to wear them all the time or else I forget to wear it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s